[MPlayer-users] Audio sync problem with mencoder

Bernd Butscheidt bbutscheidt at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 14 15:23:52 CET 2012

>________________________________
>From: Greg Ward greg at gerg.ca
>
>Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Audio sync problem with mencoder
>
>Also, my home network is a mere 100 Mbits. When copying files from the
>PC to the living room, 1.5 GB is nicer than 6 GB. So space is a bit of
>a concern. I'd like to be able to transcode.

 If you still want to transcode, you can use your command as proposed

  mencoder dvd://1 -quiet \
    -oac copy \
    -ovc lavc \
    -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=2048:autoaspect=1 \
    -mc 0 -noskip \
    -o <outfile>

but:
- leave out all mc o and noskip stuff
- don't use oac -copy, instead of this reencode both, video and(!) audio

With this, I get some duplicate frames or frame dropping messages especially at the beginning especially when using ts Streams with h264 video as input files, but the result is fine overall and the audio and video is in sync.

Of course, it is not very elegant to reencode the audio too, but for me there was never any audible disadvantage – but a great advantage: audio and video in sync!.

To my opionion the multimedia container certainly have additional information about the correct syncing of audio and video. If you separate them, these information get lost and you suffer because the remuxed video and audio are not in sync anymore.

ProjectX allows us to demux mpeg2 footage without getting into these troubles. I don't know a tool for other video formats which is like this. Unfortunately, demuxing with mencoder or ffmpeg seems to be no replacement for a tool like ProjectX . But in your case this seems to me a hard option:
-          rip the DVD as described in the previous posts
-          demux with Projectx
-          reencode the video
-          mux, eg. with mplex
Kind regards