[MPlayer-users] gnome-terminal window doesn't get focus back when mplayer video window closes

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Fri May 4 18:11:57 CEST 2012

Le Wed, 02 May 2012 22:26:07 +0200,
Ilja Sekler <ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> before I file a bug for gnome-terminal, mutter or whatsoever I'd like
> to get some guidance on the issue: when MPlayer video playback is
> launched from gnome-terminal, hitting 'Q' while the video window is
> focused or just closing the video window doesn't return focus back to
> gnome-terminal.
>
> This is specific to GNOME 3.4 across different distributions and
> didn't happen with GNOME 3.2, so this is likely a GNOME bug, but is
> there anything MPlayer could do about it? Is it the business of
> gnome-terminal or of mutter to grab focus back after a window opened
> by a child process closes? I mean, when e.g. gnome-calculator is
> launched from gnome-terminal, hitting Ctrl+Q terminates the
> calculator and the gnome-terminal window is automagically focused
> again, which stopped to work with MPlayer.

Focusing the windows is the business of the wm, gnome in your case.
It is 4 generic possibilities, 4 combinations of focus follow
mouse (or click to focus) with click and (or not) raise. Most wm are not
able to do correctly those 4 combinations, which is a shame.

With click to focus, you must get back the focus to the terminal in any
case when MPlayer (or another application launched from that terminal)
quit. With focus follow mouse, it will depend on your mouse cursor
position.

Dominique