[MPlayer-users] MPlayer can't disable the screensaver in Arch Linux, Fedora 18

piruthiviraj natarajan piruthiviraj at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 19:51:52 CET 2012

In SMPlayer there is an option to disable the screensaver, but it does not
work.
The tick box is checked by default but still it doesn't work.

SMPlayer > Options> Preferences > General > Video > Disable Screensaver.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open SMPlayer
2. Load a Movie
3. Wait.... wait... SCREENSAVER.... (ruins the movie).
But vlc works fine in gnome 3.6 and xfce4.

If I use xfce with a edit in "~/.mplayer/config" as
heartbeat-cmd="xscreensaver-command
-deactivate > /dev/null" it works good.

But if I add  heartbeat-cmd="gnome-screensaver-command -p &>/dev/null", It
doesn't work in gnome 3.6.

It happens in Fedora 18 too.

I did a rebuild from svn and reached  mplayer version  35368-1 from Arch
Linux AUR https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mplayer-svn/.

Since I moved to mplayer version 35368-1, The screensaver enables for a 5
-10 seconds and disables.

Is there anything I could do to have a usual function back?

Thanks for reading,

Dr. Piruthiviraj Natarajan

Here are the links about the same topic and how I was asked to post here.

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5708

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=913573&aid=3582607&group_id=185512

<https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mplayer-svn/>