[MPlayer-users] MPlayer can't disable the screensaver in Arch Linux, Fedora 18

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Nov 10 20:02:42 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 12:21:52AM +0530, piruthiviraj natarajan wrote:
> But if I add  heartbeat-cmd="gnome-screensaver-command -p &>/dev/null", It
> doesn't work in gnome 3.6.

The last information I got is that the gnome developers broke it,
on purpose.
Since breaking other people's code seems to be the favourite past-time
of screensaver developers I at least won't spent another second on it
(they could just make their screensavers detect that something is
playing a video and not activate if they actually cared about their
users).

> Is there anything I could do to have a usual function back?

I'll be happy if someone has a more constructive answer, though
I'd suggest just getting rid of the screensaver.
One variant is to wrap MPlayer into a shell script that kills
and restarts the screensaver.
A third alternative is to use screensaver that actually has a
working command-line tool or respects the Xss API or one
of the other APIs supported by MPlayer.
I'm not completely sure, but "use KDE" might be one variant of this
"solution".