[MPlayer-users] hardware video decoding and yuv dump with mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Oct 7 10:02:31 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 01:56:00PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> pcuser p <pcuser.mails <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > ./mplayer  -v driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0 -vo yuv4mpeg
> > /root/apps/testseq/video.m4v
>
> Are you trying to re-encode /dev/video0 ?
> That should be possible with ffmpeg.
> ffmpeg -f v4l2 -i /dev/video0 out.m4v
>
> Or do you want to play a file (video.m4v)?
> That should work fine with
> ./mplayer /root/apps/testseq/video.m4v
>
> Or do you want to playback from a video4linux device?
> Then try mplayer tv:// (with some -tv options)
>
> Sorry, but above command line makes no sense and
> I cannot tell what you trying to do.

No, that is some messy hack used to integrate hardware decoders.
You put the compressed data into a v4l output device and it
will decompress it.
MPlayer can send compressed data to it via -vo v4l2, though
I have not idea if that actually still works.
However readback even if supported is certain to be some
kind of proprietary/custom hack, so we can't really say how.