[MPlayer-users] MPlayer and V4L2

William Larson wlarsong at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 02:47:56 CEST 2012

Hello I am running Mplayer on an embedded Samsung S3c2410 Device with
a linux kernel 3.2.4

I have used buildroot to build mplayer with the version of Mplayer on
buildroot being r32767 or 4.5.2.

I have successfully used this version of mplayer with V4L2:
mplayer -vf screenshot tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:width=320:height=240:device=/dev/video0

And I am able to see my webcam on the framebuffer

While reading the mailing list it was brought up that the screenshot
filter was broken so I attempted to upgrade to Mplayer 1.1.

I upgraded to the latest git snap shot of buildroot which has mplayer
1.1 when I compile and get the binary for mplayer 1.1 but
mplayer -vf screenshot tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:width=320:height=240:device=/dev/video0

Now says

MPlayer 1.1-4.6.3 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team

Playing tv://.
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)

TV file format detected.
No such driver: v4l2

Same File system same everything I can rename the commands
mplayer-r32767 and mplayer11 and i can run videos on both but cannot
access the v4l2 driver on the newer mplayer

I have confirmed both the kernel and the rootfs contain the proper
v4l2 drivers as again one of the programs works but the other does
not.

--
-William Larson