[MPlayer-users] [RFC] aspect scaling, panscan etc. in windowed mode

Wayne Wayne at TradeTimer.com
Thu Sep 13 16:24:00 CEST 2012

Reimer,

Thanks to your earlier fix with r35156, the aspect ratio, panning, and zooming does everything as expected  (using DirectX on Win32-sp1 through SMPlayer-4391).  Everything works fine in windowed mode, regardless of the size of the window, i.e., borders are added to maintain whatever aspect ratio I select as the window is resized.  And panning and zooming seems to work well in all cases.

Sorry if I misunderstood the nature of your proposal.  Just wanted to throw in my $0.02 since I don't see a problem...

Wayne

----------------

Hello,
this is a long-standing issue and I'd like to resolve it, but I am unsure what is most user-friendly.
Currently, when MPlayer plays in windowed mode, we rely only on the windowing system to keep the aspect, i.e. we do not add borders.
As a side-effect, panscan and also zooming (with negative panscanrange values) does not work either.
In addition, some window managers do not support forcing a fixed aspect.
For most vos, it is trivial to switch this behaviour, just by changing the aspect_scaling function in libvo/video_out.h
So the option I have been thinking of is changing this condition to vo_fs || vo_keepaspect
This would then enable adding borders/panscan in windowed mode as long as the -nokeep-aspect isn't used.
So far I think that should not cause issues for anyone.
However, that still would leave no way to configure it to allow scaling the window any way you want _and_ adding borders as necessary.
I'm not particularly keen on adding yet another command-line option either.
Any suggestions? Any opinions on what would be a good way to do handle this whole aspect handling in windowed mode?

Reimar

P.S.: Sorry if I get impatient and make changes before everyone had a chance to reply, it is easy to change later, but it blocks my cleanup work for vo_corevideo, which in turn blocks my code that extracts parts of it and uses it for -vo gl (which I think once done should mean nobody should have a reason to use corevideo any more except for the shared buffer feature).