[MPlayer-users] [RFC] aspect scaling, panscan etc. in windowed mode

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Sep 13 19:15:09 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 07:24:00AM -0700, Wayne wrote:
> Reimer,
>
> Thanks to your earlier fix with r35156, the aspect ratio, panning, and zooming does everything as expected  (using DirectX on Win32-sp1 through SMPlayer-4391).  Everything works fine in windowed mode, regardless of the size of the window, i.e., borders are added to maintain whatever aspect ratio I select as the window is resized.  And panning and zooming seems to work well in all cases.

I think you were/are using SMPlayer, using MPlayer directly you cannot
change the window size to something with a different aspect than the
video (on Windows), and in cases where you can no borders will be added.
The change I propose will not really affect Windows, since you can never
resize the window (for stand-alone MPlayer, not SMPlayer) so that
borders would be necessary.
It will mostly affect Linux with window managers that do not support
keeping aspect.
The feature in question that will be missing still (on Windows and
Linux) is basically being able to resize the video
window to an aspect that mismatches the video aspect _and_ having
borders added.