[MPlayer-users] [MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] aspect scaling, panscan etc. in windowed mode

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Sep 13 20:45:21 CEST 2012

Le septidi 27 fructidor, an CCXX, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> this is a long-standing issue and I'd like to resolve it, but I am unsure
> what is most user-friendly.
> Currently, when MPlayer plays in windowed mode, we rely only on the
> windowing system to keep the aspect, i.e. we do not add borders.
> As a side-effect, panscan and also zooming (with negative panscanrange
> values) does not work either.
> In addition, some window managers do not support forcing a fixed aspect.
> For most vos, it is trivial to switch this behaviour, just by changing the
> aspect_scaling function in libvo/video_out.h
> So the option I have been thinking of is changing this condition to vo_fs
> || vo_keepaspect
> This would then enable adding borders/panscan in windowed mode as long as
> the -nokeep-aspect isn't used.
> So far I think that should not cause issues for anyone.
> However, that still would leave no way to configure it to allow scaling
> the window any way you want _and_ adding borders as necessary.
> I'm not particularly keen on adding yet another command-line option
> either.
> Any suggestions? Any opinions on what would be a good way to do handle
> this whole aspect handling in windowed mode?

I must say, I never understood the reason for the different treatment
between full screen and windowed. Why not apply the letterbox or pan-scan
logic in all cases: in full screen to our full-screen window, in windowed
mode in the window itself. If the WM obeys to the hints, the bars are empty.

It makes impossible the current -nokeepaspect behaviour (there will be bars
instead of stretching), but it could be made possible again by ensuring that
-noaspect is not actually a synonym of "-sar 1".

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George