[MPlayer-users] Use -ass without fontconfig?

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 14 19:41:20 CEST 2013

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:24:35 +0200
Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Le quintidi 25 germinal, an CCXXI, wm4 a écrit :
> > As I said, Windows has its own way of maintaining its font database.
>
> Exactly: its own way. fontconfig is cross-platform.

Just because it has been ported to other platforms it's not truly
cross-platform. On Windows, it's awkward at best.

> > Even if Windows actually run some sort of fontconfig hook,
> > installation of fonts would suddenly take minutes instead of
> > seconds. Just how is this acceptable?
>
> That is just silly. Even rebuilding the whole cache (which is not
> necessary when fonts are just added) takes only a few seconds.
> Updating it for new fonts is almost instantaneous, unless you are
> adding gigabytes of new fonts.

fontconfig wants to rescan the whole font folder if just one font is
added or removed. And it does take significantly longer than "only a
few seconds". The Microsoft statistics confirm
this:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2009-May/003156.html

This mail even mentions how scanning the fonts is slow, and how users
just tend to kill applications because it takes too long.

So, yes, what you just said doesn't match with reality. At all.

> > I'm not quite sure why you refuse to acknowledge fontconfig's
> > responsibility for its bad behavior.
>
> Maybe because all arguments until now have not been proof of a bad
> behaviour from fontconfig, but of a bad understanding of how it works.

What's your proposal to solve this, then?