[MPlayer-users] Use -ass without fontconfig?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Apr 14 19:55:56 CEST 2013

Le quintidi 25 germinal, an CCXXI, wm4 a écrit :
> Just because it has been ported to other platforms it's not truly
> cross-platform. On Windows, it's awkward at best.

Awkward is one thing, the microsoft way works only on windows, and will stay
that way.

Do not hesitate to enhance fontconfig, it is Free software.

> fontconfig wants to rescan the whole font folder if just one font is
> added or removed.

That is not what strace tells me.

>		    And it does take significantly longer than "only a
> few seconds".

I checked before sending my mail.

> What's your proposal to solve this, then?

I already answered that: update the cache after installing fonts. Quick and
simple.

Also, I do not care for proprietary operating systems. Breaking things that
work well just for the comfort of lusers of these just seems very bad
politics. But I do not expect I will answer again in this thread.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George