[MPlayer-users] Use -ass without fontconfig?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Apr 14 20:00:59 CEST 2013

On 14.04.2013, at 13:59, Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:
> Le quartidi 24 germinal, an CCXXI, wm4 a écrit :
>> Yeah, fontconfig does the same as you do: assume Windows is a Linux
>> distro.
>
> fontconfig assumes that the system administrator is capable of following a
> simple directive after installing fonts, no more no less. Your sentence only
> makes sense if you assume that windows admins are not capable of that.

Desktop systems do not have administrators.
Not to mention that fonts are very rarely installed manually, why should Windows installers for fonts rebuild a fontconfig cache?
Now you could say that Windows should have e.g. a package manager to allow solving this kind of thing but that isn't going to happen in reality.
Though to be honest the biggest question to me is: wtf is fontconfig doing that it takes more than a few seconds to scan a few 100 fonts?
We are talking about more time to process one single font than it takes for reading (high bitrate, from slow optical media), decrypting and decoding several seconds of a BluRay for example...