[MPlayer-users] Produce 422 format pixels with mencoder for mpeg4-encoding

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 10 14:27:19 CET 2013

>Which MPEG-4 spec? You get plenty to choose from....

>I don't think MPEG-4 Part 2 (divx, Nero digital, xvid etc) supports
>it, at least not in any commonly used profile. MPEG-4 Part 12
>(AVC/H264) definitely does.
So does Carl and Reimar are implying that MPEG4 doesn't support YUV422
pixels, while Tom says that MPEG4 does.  What is the answer?

If I capture Video in YUV422 format, does it make sense to try to
use YUV422 pixels for all of the steps (Inverse telecine, editing, and
conversion to MPEG4)?

Or if it's impossible to create MPEG4 with YUV422 pixels, does it make
more sense to convert to YUV420 pixels right away?

Does mplayer play MPEG4 files with YUV422 format?