[MPlayer-users] Produce 422 format pixels with mencoder for mpeg4-encoding

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 10 17:10:36 CET 2013

>You need to stop saying "MPEG-4" like it is one thing - it is one name

>for a whole collection of related standards, codecs and encoders.

Okay.  I don't really have an interest in the standard.  I only mentioned
it because that's how Carl responded.

>I don't want to speak for Carl and Reimar, perhaps they are saying the
>"mpeg4" encoder that mencoder exposes does not support YUV422.

That's really what I want to know.  Can mencoder output YUV422 pixels
with it's "mpeg4" encoder?  If not, can ffmpeg output YUV422 pixels
with it's "mpeg4" encoder?  (I know this isn't the place to ask ffmpeg questions
but it's easier to ask that question now then start a whole new thread on the ffmpeg
or libav mailing list).

Why do I want to know?  If the answer is "no" for mencoder and ffmpeg, then I can
forget about trying to do editing, inverse telecining, and mpeg4-encoding in YUV422
format and move on to the next project.

>> Does mplayer play MPEG4 files with YUV422 format?
>
>Most likely.

Well, Reimar implied that it doesn't.  I'm confused.