[MPlayer-users] Some vids not playing

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Dec 14 01:04:23 CET 2013

Steven Feil <sfeil <at> inbox.com> writes:

> I am still confused as to how the codec and
> demuxer relate to the libraries in the
> /usr/lib directory.

(Mostly unrelated: There is nothing except a few
very outdated Windows drivers for ancient codecs
that you can optionally install, today all
decoders are in a library called libavcodec from
the FFmpeg project, it is recommended to compile
the library statically into MPlayer.)

> "http://pastebin.com/Vxeq7s4U" for full output.

Generally, never use pastebin when asking for
help here (or on the FFmpeg user mailing lists),
always post the necessary information.
(Also mostly unrelated: I do not easily remember
a report or a question where mediainfo output
helped, so just skip it.)

You could now upload the file in question, we
could test it and find out that it works fine,
the easier way is (sorry) that you recompile:
The version you have installed is old and uses
old FFmpeg libraries, this may or may not work
but the supported (and easy!) solution is to
compile current svn with "./configure && make"
which downloads current FFmpeg.
You unfortunately need headers for either xv
or OpenGL (or VDPAU if you have appropriate
graphic drivers).

Sorry if you don't find this helpful but I am
not sure you will find somebody here who will
debug your variant of the "dll hell".

Carl Eugen