[MPlayer-users] Turning GNOME MPlayer into a normal one

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 22:16:48 CET 2013

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9324163/how-to-set-application-title-in-gnome-shell

> > I think what happens is that gnome-shell tries to be clever.
> > They decided that the "mplayer" process "usually" is launched part
> > of GNOME-MPlayer and thus decided to give it that name.
> > At least that is the only sensible explanation I can give, we
> > certainly have nothing to do with it.
>
> Well, I have one other theory, if "GNOME MPlayer" uses just "MPlayer"
> as the window class hint, gnome-shell might not have much a chance but
> to confuse them.
> Have a look at the vo_x11_classhint function in libvo/x11_common.c,
> if changing the "MPlayer" string there changes the behaviour that's
> most likely indeed the cause.

I dont think that is it. Im guessing he has a .desktop file that lists
mplayer as the executable it in. And the description of it is GNOME
MPlayer. I cant test that theory at the moment, but I'll look into it when
i can.

I would like to see a screen shot of what exactly is on the screen. As i
dont think we have seen that yet.

Kevin