[MPlayer-users] Turning GNOME MPlayer into a normal one

Sun Feb 24 12:08:04 CET 2013

Hi Kevin DeKorte!

 On 2013.02.23 at 14:16:48 -0700, Kevin DeKorte wrote next:

> I dont think that is it. Im guessing he has a .desktop file that lists
> mplayer as the executable it in. And the description of it is GNOME
> MPlayer. I cant test that theory at the moment, but I'll look into it when
> i can.

You are indeed right. I tested behaviour on other system and found out
that mplayer calls itself "GNOME MPlayer" only when actual gnome-mplayer
is installed there, when package is removed, it returns to just
"mplayer" there. I looked at my system more closely and found out that
something (probaly some "cairo-dock" app I was experimenting with) made
a copy of gnome-mplayer launcher and its .desktop file in some place
deep in ~/.config hierarchy.
So when /usr/share/applications/gnome-mplayer.desktop wasn't present,
gnome-shell discovered copy of that .desktop file and got information
from it, thus strange behaviour. I removed .desktop copy and it works
like it should.

And, yes, there is gnome-shell logic which apparently works something
like that "grep application name in all .desktop files on system and
pick name from best-matching one, if any". That's how it picks
gnome-mplayer.desktop and icon/name from it, even though it never
mentions word "mplayer" alone. It does substring search or something...

--

Vladimir