[MPlayer-users] loop option problem using gl2 driver in win 7 64bit

Morris Beverly mo at avpresentations.com
Mon Feb 25 21:18:07 CET 2013

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2013, at 17:51, Morris Beverly <mo at avpresentations.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm using slave mode with mplayer 35923-2, downloaded from code.google, running on windows 7 64bit.  I'm using the gl2 driver with "-geometry" to force the video to play on the second monitor.
>>

> Huh? MPlayer is at mplayerhq.hu, not some google site.

The download page at mplayerhq.hu actually points to the google code
page under windows builds
>> -quiet -slave -osdlevel 0 -idle -fixed-vo -nocache -noborder -loop 0 -vo gl2 -x 1280 -y 720 -geometry 1000:40 -vf eq2=1 ./media/video.mp4
>>

> The short summary is
> 1) use -xineramascreen to specify a different monitor

xineramascreen has been giving me problems for several months.  I've
been unable to get the video to play on anything other than the primary
monitor, even using the exact same command line (with xineramascreen) as
before.  I thought this was related to nvidia cards since it seemed to
only happen with them, but in the last week or so I've noticed it on
machines with amd cards as well.  Don't know what happed, same mplayer
exe, same gui program (one I wrote), same videos.  Maybe something with
how windows (win7 64 bit) handles reproting screen numbers now???  The
problem with xineramascreen is why I went to using the gl2 driver and
it's x,y,geometry settings
> 2) get an official, up-to-date version of MPlayer, which leads to

Using the one pointed to by mplayer download page, 35923

> 3) do not use gl2, use gl. gl2 is outdated and for that reason was actually renamed to gl_tiled.

wasn't aware of this, I'll change to gl
> 4) there should be no reason to use the eq2 filter, gl/gl2 should be able to handle all it does while being much faster

I thought this was required to be able to set the gamma, brightness, etc
with slave mode properties
> 5) to loop a single file, putting -loop 0 after the file name works better in some aspects. In particular it would also avoid your issue.

This completely fixed the problem.  It now plays as I expect it to using
gl2 (will try gl later).

> 6) using both -geometry and -x -y is strange, -geometry 1280x720+1000+40 I think is the right syntax to do it in one. However the values look suspicious to me, are you just trying to get fullscreen? -fs works better for that, though you really need to use -xineramascreen then.

I had used the 1000 figure to move video around while testing various
settings.  It would normally be 1024 for me.  The 40 figure is for
centering it vertically in a larger screen space.  You're correct that I
was doing it to simulate fullscreen.

If you have any ideas as to why xineramascreen may be failing for me
when it was working before with identical setups, I'd like to know, as
it would obviously be a far better solution than monkey-ing around with
-x, -y, -geometry.

I will probably try mplayer2 later today as I wasn't aware of it until
recently.  Maybe xineramascreen will work for me with it.

Thanks Reimar, for the tip on putting -loop at the end of the command
line, that will fix it for me in the short term.

thanks again,

morris