[MPlayer-users] Using ffmpeg or mencoder to edit files with a edit list

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 13 23:25:57 CEST 2013

________________________________
 From: houghi <houghi at houghi.org>
To: "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests, bug reports" <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Using ffmpeg or mencoder to edit files with a edit list

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 01:53:12PM -0700, James Board wrote:
> It sounds like what you are suggesting is that I run ffmpeg once
> for each continuous segment, and then concatenate them together.
> Is that right?

Yes.

> Does you audio stay in sync?

Yes.

> What if you have one hundred segments?

It takes longer ten with 10.

> Anyway, I'd rather not do it that way.

So how did you do it? What have you already tried?

houghi
--
Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
will start thinking and the people will stop.

Create a text file with one line for each segment to be deleted
from the output video.  The format is:
    beginTime EndTime 1
You can have as many deleetd segments as you like.  Then run
mencoder with the above file (the command is something
like this command):
    mencoder in.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -edl editlist.txt -o out.avi
However, ffmpeg is supposedly replacing mencoder, so I was
hoping someone here knows the equivallent way of doing this in ffmpeg.

But thanks for your answer.  I didn't know about meld before.