[MPlayer-users] Using ffmpeg or mencoder to edit files with a edit list

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 02:33:48 CEST 2013

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 14:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Create a text file with one line for each segment to be deleted
> from the output video.  The format is:
>     beginTime EndTime 1
> You can have as many deleetd segments as you like.  Then run
> mencoder with the above file (the command is something
> like this command):
>     mencoder in.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -edl editlist.txt -o out.avi
> However, ffmpeg is supposedly replacing mencoder, so I was
> hoping someone here knows the equivallent way of doing this in ffmpeg.

Have not used -edl option ever. Maybe you can try the shell scripting,
just like below:

1, read your editlist.txt, get another "reservedlist.txt" which with
one line for each segment to be reserved. The format is:
 beginTime EndTime 1
2, one line by one line read your reservedlist.txt, use the command
like below to get every reserved segment:
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -ss [start] -t [duration] -vcodec copy -acodec copy
asegmentout.mp4
3, use ffmpeg to join these segments.

You maybe need type more lines for processing your task, but it is maybe
more flexible than your searching an option in ffmpeg which is the
equivallent way of "-edl" in mencoder.