[MPlayer-users] Building MPlayer and XMMS

Elio Blanca eblanca76 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 3 21:59:24 CET 2013

Progress update:
the old system way is no-go. Useless.
The fresh installed system needs xmms to be downloaded but the repositories aren't there anymore.
The oldest packages from ubuntu are for hardy and no xmms-1.x, they already shipped xmms2.
Even when downloading xmms sources, the build tools (gcc) need to be downloaded and again no
repositories.

In an old suse 9.1 CD I found xmms-1.2.10 and the library libxmms.so.1 was there.
Copied the file into /usr/lib and mplayer's configure script finds it, great!
Now mplayer launched with `-demuxer xmms' stops after a x11 video issue (Vladimir, you are right,
the plugin needs some graphic libs indeed). Should I `pollute' my precise pangolin with ancient
gtk+-1.2.10 libraries? No, I would like a different solution.

About Windows native codec, I can tell I'm not aware of any of that. There is the Thomson decoder
v1.1.0 (a full application), and the winamp mp3pro plugin v1.3: it's a DLL but it's suited for
winamp, not Windows itself.

> Another solution may be to try to re-implement the libxmms and glib API used
> by the plugin. I tried that quickly but I hit a segfault that was not
> obvious to fix, and I had other things more urgent.

As I thought, this may be a viable solution. More complex, it seems.
And who is Kostya?