[MPlayer-users] Generate image file output with mencoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Sep 6 20:22:34 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 11:06:16AM -0700, James Board wrote:
> >>Thanks, but what does the last part '-o ffmpeg://dummy://OUT%d.png' do?
> >>Does it somehow call ffmpeg to generate the file?
> >
> >It is a way to tell ffmpeg what pattern it should use to name the files without MPlayer itself creating a file named >like that. You could just use -o img%d.png but then you will get a nonsense empty file in addition to the actual >output.
>
> So is it piping the files to ffmpeg?

No. By "ffmpeg" I meant libavcodec+libavformat which are compiled in to
MPlayer.

> However, this might all me moot.  I saw in an earlier post that you suggested
> I update first and I haven't.  My mencoder is at least a year old.  So, I'm assuming
> my problems are because of an older version of mencoder.

You can't use older version, since there is no way to tell it
what names the png files should get.
You could maybe use image2pipe, then you'd get a stream with
one png concatenated with the next, but I doubt avoiding to get
a newer mencoder is worth dealing with that.