[MPlayer-users] My cropping question revisited.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 27 12:30:10 CEST 2013

On Friday 27 September 2013 06:23:49 Reimar Döffinger did opine:

> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> >On Thursday 26 September 2013 16:53:52 Reimar Dأ¶ffinger did opine:
> >> Tells me the camera can do yuv, h.264 and mjpeg.
> >
> >And those formats are exactly the ones that return a black screen.  I
> >thought it odd that no format of yuv or mjpeg worked.
>
> That might cause you trouble...
>
> > .  What other names might h.264 be
> >
> >known
> >as to a library built in 2010?  Or is that too new for that time frame?
>
> Well, the proper name is MPEG-4 AVC.
>
> >> Which one is best depends on the ratio USB bandwidth/cpu power
> >> available. I also have to admit I don't know how to tell MPlayer
> >
> >which
> >
> >> one to select.
> >
> >Obviously neither do I...  CPU power available is likely a problem
> >since
> >this portion of the software runs on a single core of the dual core an
> >atom
> >has, at 1.6ghz IIRC.  IOW, it does everything but actually drive the
> >hardware.
>
> No chance of decoding H.264 at that resolution on it. Doing it on both
> cores would be pushing it. If you're lucky, this model has a hardware
> decoder, then you could use that. But in that case you basically can't
> do any post-processing (cropping would be one of the few still to work,
> via MPlayer's pan-scan), even overlays might be problematic (you'd need
> the overlays to be composited by the windowing system, not directly
> rendered onto the video). I suspect that the MJPEG is the most
> realistic to get working...

And even that will likely have to wait till I get back on my feet w/o the
crutches as all that stuff in the shop is setup for standup keyboarding.

Murphy (the guy that wrote all those laws) seems to have taken a room here,
drinks my beer too. :)

Thanks Reimer.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Q:	What is the sound of one cat napping?
A:	Mu.
         law-abiding citizens.