[MPlayer-users] Cannot record audio from tv tuner.

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:40:23 CEST 2014

Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 09:36:46PM +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:
>> There should be no visible difference - I just suggested yuy2 in
>> case it was the uyvy that was causing the problem - re-reading I
>> see you said that worked anyway.
>>
>> The v4l-info shows that the device only does 422 variants, so if
>> you do get it working and want to convert to something that needs
>> 420 like dvd and the content is interlaced and you want to retain
>> it interlaced you will need to be careful to specify that it is
>> interlaced to mencoder or ffmpeg, with ffmpeg this means you can't
>> use -target pal-dvd.
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> I've also been working with this very useful page:
> http://easycap.blogspot.com/p/command-line-tv.html

OK for progressive - not so good for interlaced.

It can be a pain to get interlaced right eg. you need to work out what
field order you have to tell x264 bff or tff and you will get different
results with fffmeg vs mencoder  - ffmpeg will by default make 422 h264,
mencoder changes to 420 which requires an additional -vf scale=::1 to
not subtly mess up the chroma.

> But can't get sound out of tvtime, and the mencoder options there are
> the same ones I'm already using and that cause my driver to crash
> while xawtv can somehow talk to it and get sound.
>
> Perplexed...

Yea - I can't see why that isn't working.

Maybe it would magically work with a different kernel.