[MPlayer-users] Ubuntu 14.04 mencoder crash

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Dec 14 18:48:51 CET 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 04:37:06PM +0000, Notes Jonny wrote:
> Hello
>
> I wonder if anyone else is seeing mencoder crash on Ubuntu?

It's a rather old version of MEncoder (yes, I know we did not make a
formal release since then), and FFmpeg was removed in favour of Libav
in Ubuntu/Debian, so I kind of suspect there might be some incompatibility
causing it.
It seems there isn't even a PPA with mencoder, so compiling yourself
the current SVN version is the solution I can offer.

> I'm really struggling to find any program that can convert, and keep
> the quality. ffmpeg makes it all blured.

I'd say you should select a better profile and lower crf value
and ffmpeg should produce better output.
Relying on the default values for these isn't such a great
idea anyway.