[MPlayer-users] Ubuntu 14.04 mencoder crash

Notes Jonny jongmob at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 22:57:05 CET 2014

Hi Reimar

Thank you for your reply

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 04:37:06PM +0000, Notes Jonny wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I wonder if anyone else is seeing mencoder crash on Ubuntu?
>
> It's a rather old version of MEncoder (yes, I know we did not make a
> formal release since then), and FFmpeg was removed in favour of Libav
> in Ubuntu/Debian, so I kind of suspect there might be some incompatibility
> causing it.
> It seems there isn't even a PPA with mencoder, so compiling yourself
> the current SVN version is the solution I can offer.

Would you like the file that causes the crash? I wonder if it still
crashes with latest..

I put it here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2nIEEf1lA4wNmFfUElSM1RidHc/view?usp=sharing

>> I'm really struggling to find any program that can convert, and keep
>> the quality. ffmpeg makes it all blured.
>
> I'd say you should select a better profile and lower crf value
> and ffmpeg should produce better output.
> Relying on the default values for these isn't such a great
> idea anyway.

I got something encoded using aconv, which seems to be a fork of ffmpeg

avconv -i email.ogv -c:v libx264 -acodec libmp3lame -vol 360
Cinematic_1_Intro.mp4 -r 14 -crf 0 -b 4489k

Regards, Jonny