[MPlayer-users] pulseaudio failing at passthrough

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri Feb 14 22:47:03 CET 2014

On 14.02.2014 22:35, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:11:27PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>>> Thanks for the info about this.
>>>
>>> I would happily switch back to alsa, if it weren't for the strage
>>> reinitialization thing it does whenever I seek,
>>
>> That is probably your hardware and unavoidable. Kind of.

I guess so. Interestingly, if I seek, it detects PCM for a short time
before reverting to AC3, so it looks like something crappy is sent along
the optical link cable that doesn't look like AC3 at all. Or when I
press Q or hit the enter key to finish playback.

>>> and the thing dvdnav
>>> does on chapter break.
>>
>> That is because the dvdnav code is, if I speak my mind honestly,
>> a bug-riddled obfuscated piece of crap with no documentation
>> that would allow to figure out whether there is some sense behind
>> the obviously nonsense pieces of code or if they should just
>> be removed...
>> I think if you do this change below this will avoid the issue, but it
>> may or may not break something else.
Whoa, do I sense some animosity against this library? I understand it is
a big mess, and I still have some discs that don’t play along well with
it, but it currently is the only way of playing most of the copy
protected discs (mostly older (i.e. 2006-2012) Sony and recent
Paramount), where dvd:// simply gets stuck on corrupted sectors and such
stuff. And with some Disney and Paramount discs, where I use dvdnav to
find the correct title (because there will be 99 titles, and most of
them with the same length, but all with different chapter numbering…).

> I actually committed a variant that I think is relatively low-risk and
> should avoid the issue.
Yes, no more silence on chapter breaks. Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Alex