[MPlayer-users] Very Rare - mplayer exits immediately with End of file when playing something.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Feb 15 17:56:35 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 04:38:45PM +0000, Andy Furniss wrote:
> >Also would be interesting if it ever happens on formats like mp4 or
> >mkv. One last thing that might be worth it is running memtest to
> >ensure it's not a hardware issue. The number of causes for such
> >"random" behaviour are fairly limited: race conditions (which should
> >be unlikely in most of MPlayer code), uninitialized data (though only
> >if ASLR is enabled) or hardware bugs. Though the ASLR thing give an
> >idea: you can try compiling with --disable-relocatable and see if
> >that makes it go away. However especially for 32 bit builds that is
> >not a very likely cause (and will be hard to track down and fix).
>
> Thanks for the suggestions - it is 64 bit so I'll add
> --disable-relocatable to my build. Of course I won't know for ages
> whether it helps.
>
> Assuming no one else sees this, maybe it's just some bug with whatever
> versions of the system libs I run - it is cross LFS, so old and
> untypical. Maybe it will just go away next time I build a clean system.

Note that --enable-relocatable will typically expose bugs in libraries
that use 32 bit integers to store pointers.
The easiest way this happens is when people forgot to include the
correct headers and do not compile with options that make this a compile
error.
This was for example the case for libbluray which some time ago would
not work with MPlayer unless you disabled that option.