[MPlayer-users] Rather high CPU usage on arm (Raspberry Pi) when streaming.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Jun 6 13:54:35 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 12:42:28PM +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:
> David Woodfall wrote:
> >I'm finding CPU usage is between 20-40% on my Pi board when streaming
> >radio URLs:
> >
> >mplayer -playlist  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3.asx
> >
> >is a good example. Local files tend to be ~= the 10% mark.
> >
> >I was wondering if there were some options for lowering this? I've
> >tried with -nocache.
>
> You could see if the 320kbit aac behaves better
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls

That would likely be worse since it is a much more complex codec.
E.g. MP3 or vorbis have fixed-point decoders (libmad and libvorbisidec)
but none of those are commonly available as streams.
Well, actually there seem to be options for AAC, like opencore-aacdec
which offers a ARM-optimized fixed-point implementation.
Making them work in MPlayer might be a bit complicated though.