[MPlayer-users] Rather high CPU usage on arm (Raspberry Pi) when streaming.

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 15:10:55 CEST 2014

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 12:42:28PM +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:
>> David Woodfall wrote:
>>> I'm finding CPU usage is between 20-40% on my Pi board when
>>> streaming radio URLs:
>>>
>>> mplayer -playlist  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3.asx
>>>
>>> is a good example. Local files tend to be ~= the 10% mark.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there were some options for lowering this?
>>> I've tried with -nocache.
>>
>> You could see if the 320kbit aac behaves better
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls
>
> That would likely be worse since it is a much more complex codec.
> E.g. MP3 or vorbis have fixed-point decoders (libmad and
> libvorbisidec) but none of those are commonly available as streams.
> Well, actually there seem to be options for AAC, like
> opencore-aacdec which offers a ARM-optimized fixed-point
> implementation. Making them work in MPlayer might be a bit
> complicated though.

Fair enough, though it would see if wmv was in some way exeptional.

IIRC faad has ifdefs for float/fixed, but then the only file I've ever
looked at ages ago was its buggy implementation of DRC that people in
the UK sometimes hit using VLC on the DVB-T2 HD channels.

It does still work with mplayer OK and R3 wouldn't hit that bug - it was
the only thing I could get to play parts of a broken adts stream recently.