[MPlayer-users] vaapi support in mplayer.

Lu, Ran hephooey at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:30:55 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Monday 12 May 2014 22:13:31, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 12.05.2014, at 20:18, Christian Dysthe <cdysthe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using SMPlayer with mplayer in Ubuntu as my main media player and
> > it works great. A know-it-all friend of mine asked whether the player
> > support vaapi since I have a Intel 4000 graphics on my laptop. I looked
> > into it and mplayer does not support vaapi.
>
> It kind of does via libva-gl which translates VDPAU to vaapi.

I tried libvdpau-va-gl, and for some reason it actually uses much higher gpu
than the vaapi patch mplayer. I guess it is the overhead from rendering
everything through opengl. When playing hi-res movies it kind of defeating the
purpose to use va-gl since xv uses pretty much the same power. while mplayer-
vaapi (or vdpau with a nvidia card) can really reduce the the power
consumption by half or more.

--
Best Regards,
LR