[MPlayer-users] Videos won't play with "Unexpected decoder output format Planar YV12"

Ian Finley sterlingphoenix at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 09:25:30 CET 2014

Hi all,

I use mplayer as the video player on my front-end HTPC.

Lately, I've started having problems with some videos. They work fine on
other computers, just not that one. All my machines have the same version
of mplayer installed (MPlayer SVN-r37313 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team)and the
same configuration.

When I play the videos on my HTPC, this is what happens in the terminal:

[vdpau] Unexpected reinit, query_format called too often?
[vdpau] Failed creating VDPAU decoder: A catch-all error, used when no
other error code applies.
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
Unexpected decoder output format Planar YV12
Unexpected decoder output format Planar YV12
Unexpected decoder output format Planar YV12
Unexpected decoder output format Planar YV12
[this repeats many times and then]
Too many buffered pts
Unexpected decoder output format Planar YV12
Too many buffered pts
Unexpected decoder output format Planar YV12
Too many buffered pts

Anyone have any ideas?