[MPlayer-users] Streams intermittently play or don't?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Oct 25 14:51:51 CEST 2014

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 01:47:01PM +0100, Jim Cross wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response Reimar.
> I did apt-get build-dep mplayer prior to build the first time but not the
> second time. Would I need to apt-get build-dep mplayer each time a 'make'
> is used?

No. Did you re-run configure afterwards?
You should have libogg-dev installed, and the Ogg demuxer should be
marked as enabled at the end of configure output.

> I only use '-nocache' as a general way to see if a stream will play('Start
> playing...') to record the URL and build a 'playlist'. When I play the URL
> from the 'playlist' and there are issues I reset using either -cache 320 -
> cache-min 4 (or 15 depending on bit rate) as most streams play with
> stability. Maybe need to rethink the -nocache option but as there are only
> a small amount that are problematic, I may just think some more... :)

I think you should have no real disadvantage from using -cache 320
-cache-min 0 (or 1 if 0 is not allowed) instead.
In this case the cache is not supposed to work as a cache but to allow
seeking back.
I am also looking into fixing the libavformat demuxer issue, but even if
I do that I'd recommend using the native Ogg demuxer for the moment.