[MPlayer-users] MPlayer – changing ‘ao=’ codec order in mplayer.conf does not appear to work for per user config?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 16 01:30:55 CEST 2014

On 15.09.2014, at 13:52, Jim Cross <jimgcross at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the details Tom and I agree on all points, which is why I think
> it is a bug rather than anything else. I wonder if the perm's issue is
> because of the home dir 'bug'.
>
> I have a simple test script(s) as follows to show MPlayer can not find home
> dir but I have another python script I use which includes using fifo - see
> an earlier reply (the fifo has correct owner and perm'd for all to rw and
> x.):

The directories it contains might not have.
Or your browser drops privileges/capabilities before it executes the script.

> Using a browser (javascript) with following link to run MPlayer:
>
> Python script test.py:
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> import subprocess
> import select
>
> from os.path import expanduser
> home = expanduser("~")

Python expanduser falls back to parsing /etc/passwd (or equivalent) as a last resort.
MPlayer only looks at the HOME environment variable.
So I'll just repeat: you need to ensure that MPlayer gets a proper environment.
I web server is not _supposed_ to be able to run a full media player for security reasons, if you insist on that you will have to fight against all these and will end up with a system that is much less secure as the minimum expected of a web server nowadays.