[MPlayer-users] Strange pixelation behavior with vdpau

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Apr 21 04:07:23 CEST 2015

On 19.04.2015, at 21:11, Colin Faber <cfaber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
> Recently I upgraded my HTPC system to a slightly faster CPU, more memory,
> and the same nvidia gtx 560 video card I had before.
>
> Frequently, watching various videos I end up with heavily pixelated scenes,
> these last for a second or two then the video snaps back to perfectly clean
> and clear again.

That would be after the next keyframe.
Something goes wrong decoding.
I would normally suspect something like -hardframedrop, but then it wouldn't always appear at the same place.
And a faster CPU should rather cause it to go away.

> I'm running MPlayer2 2.0-728-g2c378c7-2ubuntu3.  I'm willing to try
> anything to resolve this as I prefer to run mplayer (via smplayer) over VLC
> for very lovely features (bookmarks for instance =).

We have no relation with MPlayer2, it is a (to my knowledge inactive) fork.
I'd suggest trying MPlayer compiled from sources.
For trying out at least, ffplay/ffmpeg support VDPAU as well, though in a different way.
Or as a MPlayer fork (that is different in lot of ways, but still shares a good bit of code and thus useful to test) there is also mpv.