[MPlayer-users] How to select video/audio AsfStreamID in command "mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile test.asf mms://195.94.205.211/Trwam"

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jan 4 22:47:38 CET 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 04:02:21PM +0100, pk2 at o2.pl wrote:
> I verified that mms://195.94.205.211/Trwam offers different qualities of
> video/audio:
>    ASF file format detected.
>    [asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1 (audio (64 Kib/s))
>    [asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 2 (audio (33 Kib/s))
>    [asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid *3 (audio (17 Kib/s))*
>    [asfheader] Video stream found, -vid 4 (video (233 Kib/s))
>    [asfheader] Video stream found, -vid 5 (video (94 Kib/s))
>    [asfheader] Video stream found, -vid *6 (video (47 Kib/s))*
>
> I think that Mplayer is selecting the lowest values by default:
>    stream object, stream *ID: 3*
>    stream object, stream *ID: 6*

Not intentionally, it attempts to select the highest-quality ones,
but plays whatever the server sends.
So it is probably the usually issue of the server somehow
misunderstanding our request and sending the wrong versions.
I think we never figured out how to avoid this.

> P.S. I did tests with MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.3.2-DFSG-free @ Debian 5 Lenny
> and MPlayer svn r34540 at Debian 7 (Wheezy)

They might both be too old, but for MPlayer compiled from latest SVN at
least I can get the higher quality versions by using
ffmpeg://mmst://195.94.205.211/Trwam
instead, so at least for this server the FFmpeg implementation of MMS
works better.