[MPlayer-users] Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jul 19 16:37:04 CEST 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:41:43PM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> I tried with '-vo gl' and mplayer still crashes when

Well, there is still the even older stuff like -vo xv or
-vo x11 (with -zoom), but they are kind of a bad idea.
Over all this sounds like your graphics card driver stack
is very thoroughly broken.
I'd expect you get the same behaviour with glxgear or any
other program that uses OpenGL like games and potentially
even browsers (though the might have code to handle the
brokenness better).
On my system (with AMD card and OpenSource drivers) the behaviour is as follows:
-vo x11, -vo xv and -vo vdpau: Video continues as playing as normal while on terminal
-vo gl: Video stops while on terminal, but resumes fine after switching
back

Well, I guess VDPAU is likely to behave the same as -vo gl
if you use va_gl and they haven't implemented some workarounds.
I think OpenGL execution stopping when switching to a terminal
is a known bug, but it should at least resume normally after.

> I switch from X and back. Also, I get this error:
>
>     [AO_ALSA] pcm resume error: File descriptor in bad state

That should not in any way the related to the -vo used.