[MPlayer-users] Late-starting audio streams

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Feb 9 00:08:34 CET 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:46:22PM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> Stephen Mollett wrote on Tue, 19 Jan 2016 21:23:44 +0000:
>
> > How should one handle media with audio streams which start some time
> > after the video stream starts?
>
> > If I increase -tsprobe, as suggested, the audio stream is found but
> > begins playing immediately, so leads the video by about 7.5 seconds.
>
> Unfortunately, this is a know issue, see the thread starting with
>
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2014-February/072307.html

That is not entirely correct.
It is a know and a bit difficult to fix issue with formats like MKV.
But it should work for DVD and BluRay really.
Specifically, when an audio stream is found later on, MPlayer
should switch to it and start playing.
This is kind of required for streaming uses to work properly
with these formats.
Thus a sample with -dumpstream of the first few seconds would be
a good idea indeed, assuming it's not just happening due to using
an old MPlayer version.