[MPlayer-users] Linux clock loses time when DVD is playing

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jul 8 21:42:40 CEST 2016

On 16-07-06 01:48 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Awkward for me.  Dial-up access in rural Nova Scotia. I could go
> on-line and start ntpd with -g after watching a movie but that's not a
> whole lot better than just resetting the clock with date -s when it's
> several minutes behind.
>
> Tnx,
> - Mike

Have a look at:
cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource

Most Linux systems I've seen default to tsc.  However, tsc clocksource
can skew when cpu changes frequency, and on some systems, (depending on
the cpu and Linux kernel version I suspect, but I really don't
understand the gory details.) this will cause severe clock drift.

Depending on what's available on your system, try adding a
"clocksource=acpi_pm" or "clocksource=hept" to your kernel boot parameters.

You can can read some more details on clocksources here:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/18627