[MPlayer-users] Linux clock loses time when DVD is playing

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 15:26:44 CEST 2016

On 08/07/16 20:42, Rashkae wrote:
> Depending on what's available on your system, try adding a
> "clocksource=acpi_pm" or "clocksource=hept" to your kernel boot
> parameters.

Worth pointing out the typo - that should be "hpet", not "hept".

Your system probably doesn't have its HPET enabled by the BIOS (I've yet
to encounter a system of that vintage that does) but the 865G chipset
does have one available. You can add "hpet=force" to your kernel command
line to force-enable it, which will then allow it to be used as a
clocksource. (I've been doing this on my 855G-based ThinkPad for many
years.)

Also, have you tried running "hdparm -d /dev/hdc"? I think that should
report whether the drive is actually using DMA (I think lshw just shows
whether it can support it). If it's not, try "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc" to
turn DMA on. (The fact that it plays fine from hard disk or USB makes me
suspicious that it may not be using DMA for the DVD drive.)

If you were running a more recent kernel (yours is from 2006) you could
also try dumping the old IDE subsystem altogether and using the new
libata drivers for IDE devices. That might also have better performance
and may not cause clock interrupts to be dropped. You wouldn't need to
use ide-scsi for the DVD writer. (All drives show up as SCSI devices and
use the SCSI subsystem, so your optical drives will be /dev/sr0 and
/dev/sr1 while the hard drive(s) will be /dev/sda etc.)

I believe there is a 2.6 kernel available in Slackware 11.

Just a few suggestions...

Stephen