[MPlayer-users] Re: Linux clock loses time when DVD is playing

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Jul 16 08:16:54 CEST 2016

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 14:26:44 +0100,
Stephen Mollett <molletts-at-yahoo.com at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> On 08/07/16 20:42, Rashkae wrote:
>> Depending on what's available on your system, try adding a
>> "clocksource=acpi_pm" or "clocksource=hept" to your kernel boot
>> parameters.
>
> Worth pointing out the typo - that should be "hpet", not "hept".
>
> Your system probably doesn't have its HPET enabled by the BIOS (I've yet
> to encounter a system of that vintage that does) but the 865G chipset
> does have one available. You can add "hpet=force" to your kernel command
> line to force-enable it, which will then allow it to be used as a
> clocksource. (I've been doing this on my 855G-based ThinkPad for many
> years.)
>
> Also, have you tried running "hdparm -d /dev/hdc"? I think that should
> report whether the drive is actually using DMA (I think lshw just shows
> whether it can support it). If it's not, try "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc" to
> turn DMA on. (The fact that it plays fine from hard disk or USB makes me
> suspicious that it may not be using DMA for the DVD drive.)
>
> If you were running a more recent kernel (yours is from 2006) you could
> also try dumping the old IDE subsystem altogether and using the new
> libata drivers for IDE devices. That might also have better performance
> and may not cause clock interrupts to be dropped. You wouldn't need to
> use ide-scsi for the DVD writer. (All drives show up as SCSI devices and
> use the SCSI subsystem, so your optical drives will be /dev/sr0 and
> /dev/sr1 while the hard drive(s) will be /dev/sda etc.)
>
> I believe there is a 2.6 kernel available in Slackware 11.

Noted. Thanks, Stephen and Rashkae for pointers.  I'm working on it.
This is not the time of year to spend my time hunched over the
keyboard, though.  Flower and vegetable gardens are going full bore,
blueberries are just ripening, raspberries will come along in a week
or so.

I'll report back when I have an answer.  I still suspect that
weirdness in the IBM mobo IDE emulation for the SATA HD is the source
but, if so, it will take a while to verify that.  Y'all have been very
helpful with a problem that turns out to be OT.

Tnx,
- Mike

--
Michael Spencer                     Nova Scotia, Canada
mspencer at tallships.ca
http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/