[MPlayer-users] Can I get a few tips on DVD ripping?

Rui Correia rdscorreia74 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 20:04:03 EEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.brown at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Rui Correia <rdscorreia74 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have quite a few legally owned Disney DVD's that I would like to rip so
> > that my daughter can watch them on her tablet and avoid scratching the
> DVD
> > discs. If I wanted anything to do with piracy I would download the
> torrent
> > or whatever. ;-)
> > My NAS runs Linux Debian (OpenMediaVault) and it has a DVD recorder on it
> > that I would like to use for ripping. Being a NAS, it doesn't have a GUI
> > (X11/Wayland) so I have to try and achieve this all on the CLI. Hence
> why I
> > am trying Mplayer for this task.
> > I'm only interested in the main movie, with two audio languages (my
> native
> > and English) and my native language subtitles for when watching it in
> > English audio. Also I'd like to retain chapter timecodes and to
> > containerize inside a MP4/MKV file that will be shared on the LAN through
> > the NAS.
> >
> > From what I understand, I can use MPlayer for most of it.
> > I've taken note of a few MPlayer commands that I found to grab stuff
> that I
> > will be needing.
> >
> > For getting information about the audio track, subtitle tracks and
> chapters:
> > $ mplayer dvdnav://1 -identify -dvd-device ~/name_of_movie.iso
> >
> > For ripping the video:
> > $ mplayer dvdnav://1 -dumpvideo -dumpfile name_of_movie.m2v -dvd-device
> > ~/name_of_movie.iso
> >
> > For ripping the audio track 128:
> > $ mplayer dvdnav://1 -dumpaudio -aid 128 -dumpfile name_of_movie.ac3
> > -dvd-device ~/name_of_movie.iso
> >
> > My questions:
> > - Are the above the best options getting info, ripping video and ripping
> > audio?
> > - How can I dump subtitles?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Cheers
>

> Since you have an .iso file, I can tell you _already_ ripped the
> movie. What exactly are you tring to achieve?
> You just want to extract the mpeg stream?
>
> Hi Paolo,
In fact I called that file an *.iso but I don't exactly know what it is.
I was trying to get rid of the errors/bad sectors that ARccOS adds to the
DVD so Icreated that file with 'ddrescue' like this:
$ ddrescue -b 2048 -n /dev/sr0 ~/dvdrips/rango.iso ~/logfile.txt
You can even check the message I posted on Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pirate/comments/6vtfe1/linux_cli_ripping_dvds/
This saved me from the reading errors I was getting without (at least
apparently) sacrificing any good data on the DVD.

> About your subtitles question, I am not sure you can use mplayer for
> that task. But, you can use transcode.

Cool, I had already bumped into trancode

Let /dev/sr0 be the DVD reader and let 0 be the subtitle id you can to
> rip you can use:
>
> $ tccat -i /dev/sr0 -T 1,-1 | tcextract -x ps1 -t vob -a  $((0x20 +
> 0)) > subs-en
>
> and subs-en will contain the raw subtitle stream.
> If the id is not 0, just put the correct figure instead of the last
> zero. For example for the fourth use $((0x20 + 4)).

So this would work for the subs...
While I am at it, would it make more sense to just use tccat/tcextract for
everything?
I took a look at http://howto-pages.org/dvdbackup/ and found these:
$ tccat -i /dvd -T 1,-1 > movie_name.vob     (to extract the VOB)
$ tcextract -i movie_name.vob -t vob -x mpeg2 > movie_name.m2v     (to
extract the M2V)
$ tcextract -i movie_name.vob -t vob -x ac3 -a 0 > monvie_name.ac3     (to
extract the AC3)
$ tcextract -i movie_name.vob -t vob -x ps1 -a 43 > subtitles.ps1     (to
extract SUBs)
$ tcprobe -i /dev/sr0 -T 1     (to get chapters' timecodes)

On paper it looks great but in fact it didn't work on my tests.
Apparently the extracted VOB was fine but the M2V and AC3 extracted from it
only have half of the movie. And I don't know if the project is still being
maintained. Their webpage gives me an error. Their ArchLinux package seems
to be updated frequently but it might just be due to repackaging
cosmetics...

There are more ideas and details in this page:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Convert_any_Movie_
> to_DVD_Video#Subtitles_from_another_DVD_video

I will certainly take a look at their wiki which is one of the best
internet source of info on linux/opensource.