[MPlayer-users] What output driver for USB DAC?

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun Feb 4 13:56:53 EET 2018

Hi John,

On 02/04/2018 12:41 PM, John Long wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-02-04 at 11:59 +0100, Erik Auerswald wrote:
>> On 02/04/2018 09:32 AM, John Long wrote:
>>> Does anybody know how to get mplayer to send the correct signal to
>>> USB DAC?
>>
>> I've never done this and don't have that kind of device, so I cannot
>> give you a definitive answer.
>
> Thank you for the suggestions! I feel I am on the right track.
>
> [...]
 >
> I did see which output options are available but I couldn't figure out
> how to use them. I don't know where the doc is for all those (not in
> the mplayer man page)

Take a look at the section describing "-ao" in the MPlayer man page (it
starts with "AUDIO OUTPUT DRIVERS (MPLAYER ONLY)." It is online at:

http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html#AUDIO OUTPUT DRIVERS
(MPLAYER ONLY)

[sorry for the broken URL due to automatic line-wrapping of Thunderbird]
[the URL above is one line                                             ]

To find out what ALSA devices I had available in my system I used "aplay
-l" ("aplay" is part of the package "alsa-utils" on Debian and Ubuntu).

Please note that you may have PulseAudio interfering by hijacking calls
to ALSA. I used to use the Hi-Fi DAC via ALSA back before PulseAudio was
a thing...

Thanks,
Erik