[NUT-devel] info packets/frames

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 15 11:59:50 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:25:13AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:34:04AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > TotalTime is unecessary thanks to max_pts in index
>
> ok
>

> > no more null termination of info packets
>
> ok
>

> > stream_id coded sperately
>
> ok if multiple stream_ids per info packet are possible

Hmm, no such possilbity, it's all or one... What's the usefulness?

> > seperate to 4 basic types for extendibility, now we can add new fields
> > without breaking old demuxers
>
> please elaborate

If someone makes up a new header, and we decide we like it and add it to
info table, using the old method, old demuxers not knowing the new info
entry would crap out on the entire info packet because of the v/vb stuff.
With the type stuff, it can be done in backwards compatible way, lacking
the demuxer just understand the new header...

Also it's done in a way where we can force muxers to use rational and not
float for some values or similar... Or force utf-8, etc.

> [...]
> > +        } else if(code==2) {
> > +            mantissa                    s
> > +            exponent                    s
> > +            value= abs(mantissa)^exp
> > +            value*= sign(mantissa)
>
> interresting ;)

I'm assuming you mean the totally incorrect way I did it, sorry, I was
confused. :) Already sent a fixed patch.

Commit... ?

- ods15