[NUT-devel] info packets/frames

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 15 13:04:50 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:59:50PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:25:13AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:34:04AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > > seperate to 4 basic types for extendibility, now we can add new fields
> > > without breaking old demuxers
> >
> > please elaborate
>
> If someone makes up a new header, and we decide we like it and add it to
> info table, using the old method, old demuxers not knowing the new info
> entry would crap out on the entire info packet because of the v/vb stuff.
> With the type stuff, it can be done in backwards compatible way, lacking
> the demuxer just understand the new header...
>
> Also it's done in a way where we can force muxers to use rational and not
> float for some values or similar... Or force utf-8, etc.

We just noticed the problem with demuxer not knowing if type or name are
NULL, in which case if to read a vb or not. So I suggest adding the
restriction - no future headers will have NULL fields. I don't think it's a
big problem, I doubt any ever will... Only the existing fields can have
NULL value..

- ods15