[NUT-devel] Re: [Vorbis-dev] minor Vorbis specification amendment proposal

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Jul 29 17:36:02 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 04:26:03PM +0200, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried converting this appendix to an RFC. Also a plan is to make it
> more commonly appendable to all the Ogg codecs, thus it should be
> extended with FLAC, Theora and Speex descriptions.
>
> Both the XML source (I have used xml2rfc - xml.resource.org) and the
> converted txt is attached. I am curious about your comments. The rfc
> could have some rewording, style changes and bla bla. Also other
> reference bibliographic entries to the formats are needed.

i like the idea, i also agree that theora, flac, ... should be added

[...]
>        here
>        *  read an unsigned integer of 32 bits and skip that many bytes
>        *  [user_comment_list_length] = read an unsigned integer of 32
>           bits
>        *  iterate [user_comment_list_length] times {
>        *  read an unsigned integer of 32 bits and skip that many bytes
>        *  }
>        *  skip 1 byte

we should clarify the big/little endianness (IIRC it was little) for a
little appendix in the messy vorbis spec it wouldnt have mattered but for
a RFC IMHO it does ...

> 6.  Storing packets

theres something missing here ...

[...]

> 8.7.  Quicktime / MPEG4
>
>    Quicktime lacks an unambigous place for a global header so its
>    outside the scope of this document.

we could add mov to the list of supported containers if we define a chunk
for the global header, other codecs have their own codec specific global
header chunks too, maybe "glbl" could be used if its not taken yet, but i
need to look more carefully at the mov/qt spec so we unambiguosly define
and place it

about .mp4, that wasnt covered by the quicktime/mov point, it has a ESDS
atom into which a global header can be put, but iam not very familiar with
the mpeg4-systems / iso-mp4 container specs so i didnt mention it

PS: please svn commit it so we can work on it easier ...

[...]