[NUT-devel] Fourcc spec

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 17 14:15:15 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 01:57:35PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:33:20AM +0100, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Oded Shimon wrote:
> > > This specification is normative to demuxers, informative to muxers. It
> > > does not need to be actively maintained, because it does NOT list all
> > > legal fourcc's, only the ones noted by the specification. I'd like to
> > > commit it to nut/docs/fourcc.txt .
> > >
> > > - ods15
> > >
> > > Demuxers which support the codec listed MUST support the fourcc listed
> > > here.
> > > Muxers SHOULD use the fourcc listed here for codecs.
> > >
> > > Video:
> > > "mp4s"        MPEG-4 Part 2
> >
> > NO PLEASE ! "mp4v"
> > mp4s is used in mov/mp4/3gp to specify data/subs/whatever.
> >
> > > "h263"        H.263
> > > "h264"        MPEG-4 Part 10/H.264
> > > "snow"        Snow
> > > "drac"        Dirac/Schroedinger
> > > "vc1 "        VC-1
> > >
> > > Audio:
> > > "vrbs"        Xiph.org Vorbis
> > > "mp2 "        MP2
> > > "mp3 "        MP3
> > > "ac3 "        AC3
> > > "aac "        AAC/MPEG-4 Part 3
> > > "eac3"        EAC3
> > > "flac"        Free Lossless Audio Codec
> > > "wavp"        WavPack
> > >

> > Ok but please do not put them in riff.c ;)
>
> no, and add a syntax element to the stream headers which says which
> type of codec id is used avi style or nut style (or qt style) hmm
> i do think you can copy and paste the text from matroska that will
> save some time
>
> if this gets accepted we have surpassed avi and mov in brokenness
> several seperate codec id systems

I really really don't care what the actual values are, for all I care they
can be this list below, which AFAIK are all AVI values (except "vrbs").
The point is to have some kind of fourcc spec which is normative for
demuxers, and informative for muxers. As we saw the confusion of me and
you not knowing what fourcc should be used for mp3 in NUT...

- ods15