[NUT-devel] Fourcc spec

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Nov 21 19:12:12 CET 2006

Hi

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:12:14AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 10:13:46PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:13:37PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > > strongly opposed to any of the implementation-specific names though.
> > > as soon as you go down that path, you wind up with the trouble of
> > > players omitting support for certain implementations and then
> > > implementations must lie that they're actually a different
> > > implementation...
> >
> > ok, i really dont mind how the codec tag issue is solved, as long as
> > it is
> > so lets checkin the sane fourcc table from oded and use that with a
> > fallback to the avi-riff tags for muxing and demuxing?
>
> So whats the decision? We commit this table?

i abstain from voting on this, if rich says ok or abstains too and you
dont vote against your own table :) then commit it (after dealing with the
nitpicking below)

[...]

> NUT Open Container Format fourcc specification 20061117
>

> Demuxers which support the codec listed MUST support the fourcc listed
> here.
> Muxers SHOULD use the fourcc listed here for codecs.
>
> Video:
> "mp4v"        MPEG-4 Part 2

may i suggest to add mp2v and mp1v ...

> "h263"        H.263
> "h264"        MPEG-4 Part 10/H.264

may i suggest to add h262 and h261 ...

> "snow"        Snow
> "drac"        Dirac/Schroedinger
> "vc1 "        VC-1

also hfyu (huffyuv), ffv1 and jpeg or mjpg should be added
then rawvideo formats yv12,rgb32, ... also should be added
and theora and jpeg2000 ...

> Audio:
> "vrbs"        Xiph.org Vorbis
> "mp2 "        MP2
> "mp3 "        MP3
> "ac3 "        AC3
> "aac "        AAC/MPEG-4 Part 3
> "eac3"        EAC3

i dunno eac3 well enough, but is it more different from ac3
then h.263 is from h.263+ ?
if not why does it get its own fourcc while h.263+ does not?

> "flac"        Free Lossless Audio Codec

> "wavp"        WavPack

to quote David Bryant <david at wavpack.com>
----
[commit to riff.c]
I am the developer of WavPack, but I'm very new to ffmpeg and I don't
really understand what this does. It is in a list of format ids for the
wav container but WavPack in wav is not supported. Also, in the wav
header those ids are only 16-bit so WVPK can't fit. I assume that this
table means something else in the ffmpeg context, but I could not figure
out what (especially since I did not see FLAC in there and I know that's
supported).

I haven't made it through all the docs yet (or built the code) but any
light shed on this would be appreciated. As was mentioned, the signature
for WavPack blocks is "wvpk", so that would be a fine choice by me for
this (assuming it's not really a wav format_id).
-----

and pcm*, alaw, ylaw, and some common adpcm variants should be added
then theres gsm and ...

[...]