[NUT-devel] Fourcc spec

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 21 19:31:46 CET 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 07:12:12PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:12:14AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 10:13:46PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > ok, i really dont mind how the codec tag issue is solved, as long as
> > > it is
> > > so lets checkin the sane fourcc table from oded and use that with a
> > > fallback to the avi-riff tags for muxing and demuxing?
> >
> > So whats the decision? We commit this table?
>
> i abstain from voting on this, if rich says ok or abstains too and you
> dont vote against your own table :) then commit it (after dealing with the
> nitpicking below)
>
> > "snow"        Snow
> > "drac"        Dirac/Schroedinger
> > "vc1 "        VC-1

BTW I'm actually not sure if 'vc1 ' is a good fourcc, AFAIK that's wmv3,
right?...

> also hfyu (huffyuv), ffv1 and jpeg or mjpg should be added
> then rawvideo formats yv12,rgb32, ... also should be added
> and theora and jpeg2000 ...

You're welcome to add to the list as much as you like after it is
committed...

> > Audio:
> > "vrbs"        Xiph.org Vorbis
> > "mp2 "        MP2
> > "mp3 "        MP3
> > "ac3 "        AC3
> > "aac "        AAC/MPEG-4 Part 3
> > "eac3"        EAC3
>
> i dunno eac3 well enough, but is it more different from ac3
> then h.263 is from h.263+ ?
> if not why does it get its own fourcc while h.263+ does not?

I have no idea, I don't even know what EAC3 is. I removed it from the
list.

> and pcm*, alaw, ylaw, and some common adpcm variants should be added
> then theres gsm and ...

Again, add as you like after commit.

I think for the most part we can assume we like each other's fourcc's,
there's no need to discuss before committing - if something is bad we'll
find out and yell at svnlog... Is this acceptable?

Updated list below. Rich, waiting for your OK (or abstain) on this.

- ods15