[NUT-devel] a few things about nut.txt

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Nov 24 13:34:44 CET 2006

Hi

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 12:50:13PM +0100, Ivo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While reading the spec, I noticed a few things that could improve
> readability IMHO:
>
> 1.) It would be handy to have the type mentioned after each tag in the tag
> description section. It is tiresome to have to scroll back each time. e.g.
> chapter_id	(s)
> stream_class	(v)
> fourcc		(vb)
> et cetera

ok

> 2.) The first column of the frame_flags table is called Bit, but there is no
> such thing as the 4096th bit of a 64-bit value. I suggest changing the
> column-heading to Mask or change the column-entries to represent the bit
> number (i.e. 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13).

ok

> 3.) There is no explanation of what EOR actually means.

end of relevance pretty much marks the start of a gap in a stream (no video
or no audio or no subtitles until the next keyframe) it is (with the
exception of a EOR after the very last frame) AFAIK relatively nut specific
(= will probably never be used by anyone)
* nut files with EOR cannot be converted to other containers or more
  correctly you cannot seek correctly in the resulting file
* converting non nut to nut will not contain EOR except for marking the
  duration of the very last frame
* lav* does not support it (and i dont plan to change that), for lav*
  gaps are not allowed, you will have to encode black/silence/no subs
  keyframes (which require only negligible storeage anyway)
* EOR breaks the ability to cut and merge nut files by simply adding
  and removing headers

personally i would drop EOR from nut for anything but the very last frame

[...]